Here’s another Magento guide for quite a common query: how to disable the redirect to the checkout after adding a product to the cart in Magento.
Whilst this is a handy feature – enabled by default – for stores where customers aren’t likely to browse, it can be frustrating for customers who want to continue shopping after adding an item to your store’s cart. Luckily, there’s a setting to disable this feature in Magento’s administration panel!
Disabling cart redirect after add to cart in Magento
- Log in to your Magento administration account
- Navigate to the System > Configuration screen, with Default Config, or the desired store view in Magento you want to change this setting for, set as the Current Configuration Scope (top-left of the screen)
- From the left-hand column, find the “Sales” heading, and click the “Checkout” option
- Under the Shopping Cart options that now appear, find the After Adding a Product Redirect to Shopping Cart option (this should currently be set to “Yes”):
- Change this option to “No”, and click the Save Config button at the top-right of your screen.
That’s it – adding a product to your cart in Magento should no longer redirect you to the cart.
Troubleshooting add to cart redirect
If you’re still being redirected to Magento’s cart after changing the setting, take a look at these troubleshooting tips:
- Hard-refresh your browser (Ctrl + F5 on Windows; Cmd + Shift + R on Mac)
- Clear your Magento store’s caches (System > Cache Management in the Magento admin panel)
- Check that you’ve changed the setting at the right configuration scope (the dropdown at the top-left of the configuration screen – if you’ve changed the setting in the Default Config scope, but the setting is overwritten at a lower scope (e.g., for an individual store view), it won’t take effect:
If you’d like any further help with your Magento store, you can talk to us about Magento consultancy services – we’re based in the UK and love Magento! We also offer comprehensive Magento training courses for clients across the UK.