There are many great resources for Magento developers online, as well as a lot of places to get “bad” information on Magento development. This is a list of everything we’ve found helpful in our many years as Magento developers.
Over the years, we’ve made use of many Magento resources for developers, and thought it’d be useful to share our favourites with other Magento developers! The list contains useful articles and resources for Magento frontend and backend developers, split in to Magento 1 and Magento 2.
Brilliant Magento developer resources
- local.xml boilerplate for Magento 1 – a great starting point for Magento themers if you’re lost
- Magento The Right Way – great best practice tips for Magento developers
- Magento Community forms – they’re back, and they’re much, much better!
Great Magento 2 developer resources
- Creatuity’s GitHub resource list for Magento 2: brilliant community-fed list of resources for Magento 2 developers
- Alan Storm’s Magento 2 posts
- Vinai Kopp’s Magento Code Katas: a kata is a repeated exercise or task which, when done often becomes a reflex. Some great videos from a respected Magento community member
- Magento Developer Documentation – yes, really! Magento’s documentation for Magento 2 is much stronger than for Magento 1, and a good place to start with the basics such as installation and theming
- Mage Class – Magento tutorials, screencasts and guides.
- Firebear’s Magento 2 resources – a great, comprehensive list of everything Magento 2
So, that’s it – our work-in-progress list of Magento development resources which we’ve found useful over the previous years.